Alan Keating wins $1.16 million, the largest pot in US live poker history

Published on: December 16, 2022, 01:40 am.

Last update: December 16, 2022, 01:51.

Poker pro Alan Keating’s first win on the “Hustler Casino Live” live stream included what Poker News calls it “the largest pot in US live poker history.” He collected $1.158 million in heads-up action against the player known only as “Handz” during a Thursday night session in Gardena, California.

Alan Keating and Handz
Alan Keating, left, agonizes over his next move against fellow poker pro Handz before claiming a record $1.2 million pot Thursday on the “Hustler Casino Live” stream. (Image: World Poker Tour)

Although Keating finished the session with more than $500,000, he spent most of a post-win interview criticizing his own play.

I think I need to change the way I start because I find myself in these holes,” he told “Hustler Casino Live.” “It’s kind of fun to get out, but it’s a challenging way to play.”

Keating, known primarily for his participation in the World Series of Poker, doesn’t seem to enjoy the limelight much. He keeps a tight lid on the details of his personal life. All that is known about him is that he hails from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan and is worth around $3 million.

The record hand

In a $200/$400/$800/$1,600 No-Limit Hold’em game, “Handz” raised to $9,000 on the button with ace-7 off-suit. He was called by Ben Lee in the small blind with 8-5 suit, then Eric Persson with ace-jack off-suit, and Keating with king-2 suit.

The flop – 10 and 6 of spades and 5 of diamonds – checked to Handz, who continued for $25K in a $37.2K pot. Keating, one spade short of a big flush, was the only one to call.

After Handz bet $70,000 on the turn 4 of diamonds, Keating check-called and the pair went heads-up with $227,000 in the pot. At this point, Keating had a 36% chance of winning to Handz’s 64%. The river gave Keating the flush with a 7 of spades.

Keating bet Handz $155,000. Handz raised to $464,000, forcing Keating all-in if he wanted to continue. Keating took two minutes to decide whether to make the call.

Keating said that after betting the river, he thought it would be interesting if Handz shoved.

“Then when he did, I was like, ‘Okay, maybe I should have thought about it further,'” he said.

A hand for a hand

After the hand, fellow poker pros took to Twitter to congratulate Keating.

“Legend @Mister_Keating,” tweeted Antonio Lievano. “Record the pot on @HCLPokerShow! Congratulations!”

Many poker players will now have second thoughts before making this shove naked as-bluff,” added Andy Stacks.

Keating, however, proves to be his own worst critic.

“It felt right, I don’t know,” Keating told “Hustler Casino Live.” “I had the big color. I’m not going to act like I thought of a brilliant thought. I just called.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *